Driven Out Of My Job, But Manager Says I Quit

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about quitting:

I quit because of all the things my manager did to drive me out the door. He told the owners that I quit. Should I tell them about the dozens of things the manager did to me in the last 90 days to show a pattern of pushing me out?

Signed, Pushed Not Jumped

Dear Pushed Not Jumped:

It’s a shame you didn’t talk to the owners while you still had your job. However, I do think it would be worthwhile to let them know of the things that made you feel you couldn’t stay. The manager has undoubtedly told them his perspective, so you should express yours, if you truly believe he acted wrongly toward you. Put it in writing, so they can think about it after you talk. List the things that happened and try to provide some verification of it if you can. Keep it brief as an unemotional sounding as possible, to put an emphasis on the facts of the matter.

Close by saying that you would have liked to work for them longer and would still like to work there, but you couldn’t do it given the actions of the manager.You may find that the owners won’t agree with you–or they may have been giving the manager instructions all along. But, if you were a good employee and they valued your work, getting a letter from you, combined with a conversation, could let them know how much harm their manager has caused (if the manager was in the wrong.)

I hope you quickly find another job that works better for you. This situation can remind you of how unpleasant work can be when there is conflict and contention. That may help you resolve to contribute as much as possible to a more pleasant work environment somewhere else. Best wishes!