Falsely Accused In Retaliation for Comp Claim

Question Ask the Workplace Doctors about Retaliation:

My employer started hating me since I opened a workers comp case against them after I got injured at work. I KNEW because of the way I was being treated they were going to look for a way to get rid of me. Guess what? I was accused of making terrorist threats to them.They not only got rid of me, they got me a criminal record and put me in jail 5 days.I wish I could do something to get even. It was horrible. Can I do anything?

Angry

Answer:

Dear Angry:

It sounds as though your best option would be to have an attorney assist you in some way. Consider contacting an attorney that specializes in workman’s comp claims to ask them about how to handle retaliation issues.But, if you do that you will have to be sure you said nothing to your employers or others that could in any way be considered threatening. If you were found guilty of the charge it would seem there would have to have been witnesses or someone to testify about what happened. And, a judge or jury apparently found it believable.I’m sorry to say there is probably nothing you can do to change the criminal record. But, if you can prove this is related to the workman’s comp claim at least you might have something to counter the record if it is questioned in the future.If you don’t want to talk to an attorney, perhaps your state workman’s comp office can assist you in some sort of retaliation action.One thing is for sure, saying that you want to get even will not help! What you want is to have your name cleared, but that may not be possible except as time shows what kind of person you really are.I would assume you no longer work for that employer, which is a good thing for both of you. Be very careful about what you say and especially about what you do, regarding everyone in that workplace. It was a terrible experience and you will want to distance yourself from it as soon as possible.Best wishes to you in your efforts to move forward from this very bad situation.