Falsely Accused of Urinating Outside at Work!

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about a false accusation:

Myself and other employees have been accused of urinating out the back garden of our workplace by a neighbor. We know this is not true because there is a toilet on site.The police are involved in this matter and it was reported to our managers on Monday. I only found out about this situation today. They say the police will be on site to take a statement, but I would like to know what to do in the meantime, since I don’t like to be accused of something I haven’t done. I would like to sort this problem out ASAP.

Signed, Not Guilty

Dear Not Guilty:

Your best action is to make your statement to the police and state adamantly that you did not ever, ever, EVER do such a thing. There is no way to prove that you did, I presume, unless there are photos. This isn’t worthy of DNA testing, so I expect that will be the end of it. You don’t know that the others didn’t urinate outside, only that you didn’t. The fact that there is a toilet on site is not going to be a great argument, since some men will do what they need to with a portable toilet right next to them! So, all you can say is that you didn’t do it. Probably the neighbor doesn’t know who the men were, just that it was some men. I can imagine his or her upset over it, however. So, the complaint was made and the easiest thing to do is to interview everyone–including you.

I doubt that the neighbor made this up, so one or more of your coworkers is acting all innocent but is actually lying. At least this will probably stop them from doing it again!No one has accused YOU specifically it seems. In fact, it seems that no one has been specifically accused. All that is happening is that everyone will be interviewed about it and you will probably be asked if you’ve ever seen anyone do that. Just state the truth without volunteering a bunch more information than they ask. I don’t think you need to spend the money on legal advice for this matter, but that is something for you to consider if you think there will be some criminal charges made if there is proof you did it. (You say you didn’t, so that shouldn’t be a problem.) Best wishes to you with this. If you have the time and wish to do so, we’d certainly like to know how this works out.