Falsely Accused

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about accusation of shoplifting:

I work as an independent contractor for the Defense Commisary Agency. A store manager recently removed me from the work schedule until further notice for suspicion of shoplifting. He stated he has no proof, he just suspects it. I asked him to see the accusations against me, that it was within my rights to see them. He informed me “I had no rights.” Is there any legal action that I could take against them for false accusations, defamation of character, etc.

Signed, Angry and Worried

Dear Angry and Worried:

You need to get an attorney right away. I dislike having to suggest it so forcefully, because I know there is cost associated with that. But you really must have legal assistance with this.We are not a legal site and cannot provide legal advice. But, even more than that fact is the fact that there is a lot at stake here. You need to ensure that your rights are protected and that evidence is gathered properly. Even a few days delay could be problematic. So, get an attorney or at least the advice of an attorney.Best wishes with this situation, which I’m sure is causing a lot of concern.