Federal Holidays

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about pay for holidays:

Can you please tell me what the law says in regards to federal holidays? In this weak economy the hourly employees at the company I work for has not only cut our hours from 40 per week to 28 per week but we were just informed today that we will no longer be paid for holidays. Again this only pertains to the hourly employees and not the salaried employees. I don’t know if it makes a difference as to the field I work in but I work for a construction company in Southern California. Thank you.

Signed, Cut To 20

Dear Cut To 20:

We don’t provide legal advice, but can point you to informed opinion of a Manager of Human Resources, Dan Kearney. He states: The operative words here are “cut from 40 to 28 hours per week” – you are no longer entitled to full-time benefits, like insurance, vacation days, holiday pay, etc. You can still use your previously accrued vacation pay but don’t expect any benefits. Better look into COBRA as well. I suggest that you and your coworkers have a voice and can speak with management, telling them what you feel is fair and desired. Employees can help shape the policies and practices of their workplaces. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. In short, in these tough times, things are not easy. Keeping and doing well in a job will take the best in you to add value to your workplace.