Final Written Warning

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about final warning  over coworker problem:

I have worked for a retail company for about 6 months. All of my reviews have been without negative feedback. I was verbally attacked by a coworker who was fired from a previous job for making bomb threats. The incident was unprovoked and witnessed by management. I sent a letter asking for them to monitor the situation and treated him like nothing happened. The GM seems upset and told me she has no problem with the employee and it is only me. I got a negative review October 6 and a Final Written warning on October 16.

I have had no counseling in between and they jumped to a final warning with no discipline record. I told the employee in a group that I had a dream that he was at work in casual clothes, we greeted each other with a hug and that I feel we are ok and should put this incident behind us. He yelled that I called him a demon. He is crazy. Now the GM has insinuated and written an account that is highly sexual. I exceeded all of my sales goals by 11% and she wrote that I am struggling with negativity and then fabricated 3 different “counseling” sessions, none in writing. What should I do? I want to respond but I need my job and this is just nuts.

Signed, Just Nuts

Dear Just Nuts:

Obviously your boss and you are at odds. Why? I can know from a distance but something is going on wrong. The one incident of disclosing a dream that was interpreted to have sexual meaning to a group (possibly therapeutic group) is now part of your record. Whether your boss’ interpretation of that disclosure is a mistake or correct, it is there. Can you live down the verbal attack by one with a problematic record and the incident? I don’t know.The important thing now is not to be soured and to gossip about these negative incidents and reviews.

Can you see your boss as anyway but negative? I doubt it. Can you shape a positive image? I don’t know. But since you need your job as do most of us, it is worth trying. How? By focusing on ways to add value to your job and company at large. Find ways to cut waste and add innovation. Rather than avoiding your boss, build a congenial performance oriented attitude. Talk the talk of delivering quality. Continue your good record of sales and promote your workplace. Study it. You’ve only been with it for six months. There must be much to learn. So what have you learned from this unhappy experience? Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. By that, I mean see the big picture as you might if you owned the company. Put the past to the past. Be a cheerleader for all that you want your workplace to be.