Fired After Being Accused of An Affair With Boss

Question:

Last year we had a company party out of town. Because my boss and I are friends and the night of the party I went back to my room becaue I was tired.Apparently he did the same. The next morning people were talking behind my back. Monday morning I was called into my supervisors boss and asked point blank, are you sleeping with……I said no and had to sign a statement.He did as well. Now again I am being accused of an affair with my boss again. I was told some higher ups were told this was going on, then said I have told people around the office we were. Agai I said no. Then I was put into an office with someone else and was told I couldn’t use the phone, computer or text anyone. I sat in this office for over an hour. His boss again came in the office told girl to leave. It was just me and him in the office now. He asked me again if I was having an affair. I said no. Then he asked if he gave me immunity would I change my answer. I wass mad at this point and said I will not change my answer. Before he walked out of the office he said, do you know of any other relationships he may have had with anyone else at the company. I don’t know if he did or didn’t. About an hour after that I was called into the office and told that I was fired for lying in an ivestigation. He said he had a signed statement by another employee that an affair has been going on for the last year. He didn’t show it to me and wouldn’t show it to me. My boss was fired and so was I.

People that I worked with were told they are not to talk to anyone about this and if they do and it gets back they will be terminated as well. Now they are denying my unemployment. Can I do anything???

Falsely Accused

Answer:

Dear Falsely Accused:

This sounds very unfortunate and frustrating for you. But, in many companies a person can be fired for any reason or no reason. The only time you can really do anything about it is while you’re still working there, when you can talk to HR or others to try to work out other options. Now that you’re gone, you likely have no standing to complain unless you can prove you were “set up”.

You may want to talk to a attorney and ask for a free consultaton to find out your legal rights in your state, regarding the unemployment issue. I wish I had some hopeful information for you, but I’m sorry to say I don’t. I’m not an attorney, so I don’t know every aspect of it from a legal viewpoint. But, it seems your former employers had evidence or simply chose to believe someone other than you and your former boss. If your former boss also feels he was falsely accused, perhaps he has sought an attorney as well and could advise you about it.

Best wishes to you in this situation.