Fired After Being Outed By HR

Question:

I recently had a job and asked them to keep quiet about me being gay. Human resources came to me on the floor at work in front of people he told me that my wife wasnt going to be covered by them for medical coverage. Is that not wrong doing? My coworkers got me fired under false pretenses after that little outing by Human Resources.

Wronged

Answer:

Dear Wronged:

This is clearly an issue that requires an attorney rather than advisors about communication problems at work, since it involves not only sexual orientation issues but HR issues about your insurance. Those go beyond our expertise and require knowing many details to know the situation accurately.

Whether a law was violated or not, it was very, very poor judgment. However, it doesn’t sound as though you complained at the time. I hope you did, but it doesn’t read that way. It sounds as though you are concerned now because you think you were fired as a direct result. (You say your coworkers got you fired because of their knowledge about your orientation.)

That may be difficult to prove–and may not be accurate. But, I can understand that it would seem to you there was a connection.

Get all of that documentation together as well and have a timeline established between when HR talked to you in front of people and when other events began happening.

You may only need a phone consultation with a paralegal or attorney to find out if the facts of your case indicate a law violation under EEO or if you have other recourse through a civil action.

When you talk to them you will need to have your facts lined up so whoever you consult with will be able to quickly evalute your circumstances. I’m confident that will give you some assistance.

Best wishes with this issue. If you have the time and wish to do so, let us know what happens.