Fired and No Vacation Pay

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about being fired and got no vacation pay: Is this right?

My boss wanted to have a meeting and when I got there he was at the bar drinking and wanted me to drink too. Then it moved up to his office with the manager, my boss and me. I got mad and left. Then the next day when I came to work, he replaced me and never paid me my 1 week vacation.

Signed, Out Without

Answer:

DearĀ Out Without:

Apparently you and your boss were not drinking buddies. The meeting you were called to must not have gone well. You don’t explain why you got mad and left. Now you have no job and no vacation pay. You can check with your company’s Human Resources to learn if you worked there long enough to get vacation pay. If you do, you can request it.

Whether you get that or not, being fired should be a time to review what was not going well for you at work. That might help you prevent the same kind of thing happening at your next job. You must have had trouble with your boss. Were you on time day after day or did you miss work and not call in? Were you able to do the job well? If so there must have been something else going on. Work is hard enough without being on the outs with your boss or coworkers.

Now you can become sour and blame the boss or you can look in the mirror and ask if you were really earning what you were paid. I assume you will say you were. Was this just a job to get money to pay the rent and buy food or was it a step forward toward doing a job you liked? If not, what do you need to do to qualify for work you like? When things don’t go well, it’s time to refocus on what you really would like to do.

I wish you the best these next few weeks while you job hunt and I hope you can approach this as you might an exploration trip to search for a good fit for you. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS; this my way of saying I hope things go well for you and those with whom you next work; that you find something that you can feel good about and a boss that feels good about you.