Fired Because of Ex-Employee Lies

Question:

I was a manager for a company for 3 yrs and recently got terminated. An ex-employee claimed that we were in a relationship and made the claim more than 30 days after she quit on her own and signed a resignation paper.

I went out a couple of times to local bars and ran into her several times. Her friends took pictures of her with me and then she used those pictures against me when I declined to have a relationship with her.

She wrote dates on the back stating different time frames then when they actually occured. I explained to my superiors that this was personal and that it had nothing to do with work and that the events occured when she was no longer employed.

My employer took her side and fired me and stated that I was dating a subordinate even though she was not working there anymore. A month later he rehired her.

Frustrated

Answer:

This sounds so complicated and unfair that I think there were probably many things going on besides these basic facts. If you have been fired, there is not much to be done with your former employer now. The time for a complete investigation was while you were on the job. And maybe that was done, even if the conclusion was wrong.

You may have a civil case against the employee, to show that her lies caused you economic harm. If you can afford an attorney, that would be something to consider.

However, it sounds to me as though that was a bad situation that simply got worse and you could not go back to it anyway.

Your best action may be to move forward with your life and work. It seems in this last jjob that your word was not sufficient to overcome the lies of a former employee. So, perhaps working on your influence and the respect and acceptance of others should be a priority.

If you were treated extremely unjustly without any reason you are probably better off working somewhere else anyway. Do not contact the employee who lied, unless it’s through an attorney. Be cautious about anything to do with her or that company.

Best wishes in this challenging situation.