Fired Because Of Rumor I’m Quitting!

Question:

I went to work this morning and my boss called me in the office and fired me. I asked why and he said because there is a rumor going around that I might be quitting. Can he fire me because of a rumor?

Shocked

Answer:

Dear Shocked:

I’m sorry you had such a shocker today! That would be not only frustrating but frightening! I hope you will be able to stay strong and positive and find a job with more stability.

Check with your state’s department of labor about your situation and find out if any aspect of it was illegal according to state laws, as well as finding out if unemployment compensation might be available. That is also a good resource for other employment information or for job training information. Generally, whether or not you can be fired because of a rumor would depend upon any contracts you might have with your employer or the type of work. But if you work for a small business and/or you work “at will,” meaning your boss does not have to give any reason for firing you, then yes, you can be fired for a rumor.

It may be your boss heard that you didn’t like the job and wanted to quit–and that angered him or her. Or, it could be he or she was not happy with your work for some reason and the rumor provided an excuse. If there was, in fact, a rumor, someone you trusted repeated something you said, which will be a learning experience I’m sure.

If you truly do not want to quit, have not said so to anyone and feel that your work was good and that formerly you had a good relationship with your boss, consider sending him or her a letter stating all of that and asking to have your firing reconsidered. That might not help, but it wouldn’t hurt. You letter might remind your boss that you’ve been a good employee who now will have to be replaced by someone new who has to be trained.

If you think there have been negative issues all along or at least recently, maybe it will be better to simply move on and work to find a job you enjoy and in which you can develop and gain experience, knowledge and skills.

Best wishes as you deal with this challenge!