Fired For Trying To Do My Job

Question:

My boss fired me because a situation came up that I needed to handle because she was not there. The only way I could do that, since I couldn’t reach her, was to call Corporate HQ to have one of them walk me through the process, which is what I did and they helped me through it.

She called me and was literally yelling at me that I went over her head and that I am not supposed to do that (even about time sensitive issues) and then the next day she fired me.

Shortly after firing me she called my husband and told him that she was still going to see what she could do about getting him into the job he sent his resume to–not the same company I worked for or that she works for. Then, she proceeded to tell him that she fired me because I just couldn’t do the job right but that there was no harsh feelings between us. What do I do and where do I go from here?

Fired Unfairly

Answer:

DearĀ Fired Unfairly:

I’m afraid there is nothing you can do about the situation except show your strength by the way you deal with it. If there is a corporate office, your boss didn’t fire you without their approval. So, it’s likely this recent issue was not the only thing being used as a reason for firing you. Remember also that a company can fire an employee for any reason or no reason, even though usually there is a reason given.

Your best action now is to find a better place to work–a place where you can enjoy work and get along well with your boss. I realize that’s easier for me to say than for you to do, but it’s your main option at this point.

I do want to mention that I think your former boss was very wrong to get your husband involved in any way, so I hope he doesn’t talk to her again.

I wish there was some magic thing I could tell you that could make this easier to handle, but I’m afraid there isn’t. However, I can wish you the best and hope that you find just the right workplace for you. Best wishes with all of this.

I