First Amendment Violation

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about rights:

I work in a union shop. My boss has violated my first amendment rights, what can I do about it?

Signed,    Believe in The First Amendment

Dear Believe in The First Amendment:

You write because you feel hurt. Have you told your boss why you think he/she did that was wrong? You have a voice, so use it. Possibly, what you think was said was not, or perhaps you deserve an apology. More than likely, you have other beefs with your boss to come to a conclusion that he/she has violated your First Amendment rights.

Straight talk can resolve much. If not, you have a union. Therefore I would advise, if your boss doesn’t respond to your satisfaction, take the time to write out what happened: who said or wrote what, when and where it happened, and who witnessed what you think was said against you. Make copies and approach your union steward or officer and request an investigation.

If your union doesn’t act, speak with Human Resources and/or your personnel department. Request an investigation. Decide what you want done: an apology, discipline or discharge of your boss? Don’t gossip about this. Meanwhile attend to your work. Our site focuses on workplace communication, not legal matters. Should you have had you reputation/or job seriously harmed by the words or action of your boss, consult an attorney. Does this make sense to you?I would be interested in more details in light of what action you take. Work is hard enough without feeling at odds with one’s boss. So I hope you can seek a solution that addresses your concern. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS, and that is what you want; to feel good about your boss and your own reputation.

William Gorden