First Real Job, Rude Boss

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about a rude boss: I am scared of my boss. She gets rude and impatient when I don’t do something her way. I’ve been cussed at before and I feel uncomfortable when she cusses at me or the other employees.

I’ve just recently been hired at an animal clinic that has an interesting boss. She’s the veterinarian and owner of the clinic. She also has the reputation of hiring and firing, (which I didn’t find out until after I was hired.) I am very new and learning as much as I can as fast as I can. I’m a very devoted worker and I really enjoy working with the animals and techs that work there. But I am scared of my boss. She gets rude and impatient when I don’t do something her way. I’ve been cussed at before and I feel uncomfortable when she cusses at me or the other employees.

I don’t know what to do because it’s my first job in the field but I don’t appreciate being scolded every single day. The techs tell me I’m doing a good job and to stick it out but I dread going to work all the time. I get a knot in my stomach every morning before work and I have never been so stressed. Is this normal? What are the appropriate steps to take? Signed,

Signed, Knot In My Stomach

Dear Knot In My Stomach:

You are wise to explore ways to cope with this early on. Either you will need to 1. Steel yourself to the fact that your veterinarian boss is just that way, 2. Confront her or 3. Seek work elsewhere. The advice that I have is to both realize that your boss has a habit of bossing that is rude, impatient and verbally abusive and that it is not likely to change quickly if at all and also to have the courage to confront her. How?

Here is a suggestion of how you might approach her: Request a session soon to request that your boss evaluate your work and to talk about continuing to work there. You might couple an early evaluation and continuing work there because this will informed her why you are requesting a meeting. In such a session, you might begin by stating how much you are trying to do what is ordered and love working with animals, but that you are upset that you have made mistakes or failed to do what was expected. And state firmly that you feel disrespected when she is impatient and has cussed you.

In light of how the conversation goes, you can decide if it would be best if you resigned. One individual, who worked with a vet and with whom I shared your email, stated, “I would encourage the girl at the vet to seek employment elsewhere. Perhaps stay long enough to build a resume, but the boss is NOT going to change.There are MANY other veterinary practices out there.”

There is a decision before you. Don’t obsess about it. Don’t gossip with coworkers. Simply continue realizing your boss has manners you of which you disapprove. Decide to bite your tongue, approach her to learn if you can cope, or quietly seek work elsewhere. Then vote with your feet. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS.