Former Employer Prevented Me From Getting New Job

Question:

Hello. I am hoping to get some clarity on an issue that has been three years running. In March of 05 I had mishandled a situation that resulted in my employer’s intent to dismiss me. My employer accepted my resignation and “bought out” my contract. After the fact, however, unbeknownst to me, my employer reported me to a government agency and had my professional license “red flagged.”

In July of that year I had interviewed for and had been hired for a similar position, only to find out a few days before my new job was to start that my employer had done this. What my employer did resulted in my offer of employment rescinded. Because I could not easily find a job with the same pay scale, I eventually lost my house to foreclosure and had to “settle” with the government agency on a three year suspension…. Do I have any legal recourse against my former employer for accepting my resignation and then putting me through all of this?

Wondering and Frustrated

Answer:

Dear Wondering and Frustrated:

You should talk to an attorney about this situation. There are several factors that would affect your options, including the size of the organization, the event that occurred and the employer’s obligation to inform a regulating authority about concerns.

Unless an agreement was signed by the company, promising to not take further action, it may be that you do not have recourse. But an attorney who specializes in labor law would be the only one who could review your actual situation and advise you.

Best wishes as you deal with this situation.