Fragrance In The Workplace

Question:

Is there a number that I can call to find out more about Fragrance In The Workplace policies? Thanks!

Needing Information

Answer:

Dear Needing Information:

I’m sorry, we don’t know of any specific phone numbers of resources with information about fragrance policies. www.hr.com is an HR website that might have sample policies. You might also find some sample policies on other internet sites.

This Workplace Doctors site has many questions about fragrance issues, along with our responses over time, and those might be helpful.

If you work for a moderate to large sized company, you might find other organizations similar to yours, and with about your same number of employees, and see what policies they are using.

Most organizations do not have a specific fragrance policy–although I think such policies are helpful. The key to all policies is to make sure you link them to work effectiveness. Why do there need to be limitations and restrictions on fragrance? Explain that briefly, then establish a policy that is applied consistently to everyone in the same work environment.

I think it is also worthwhile to use language that makes it clear that not every situation can be covered in policy guidelines, so management may consider cases individually, to ensure a comfortable environment for everyone, both employees and customers or clients.

If you are in HR you likely have access to many resources. If you are not in HR, but there is an HR section in your organization, ask them about this matter and get their input every step of the way. Don’t rush developing this policy. Managers can intervene about problems without having a written policy, especially if they start by warning people. When you get a policy you want it to read well and to be easily applied.

If you find some good sample policies, we would like to know about them! If you have the time and wish to do so, consider sending us the link to such policies, or how you obtained them. Others would value your experiences, and we certainly could learn from them.

Best wishes!