Have Medical Disability Applying For A Job

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about doing a school report on disclosing disability in a job application:

I am a student in a career-planning course, and we (myself and two others) have to do a 5-minute oral report on something concerning the workplace. I have limitations from a back injury and one of us has MS and one does have a pacemaker. So we were looking for information on what we have to disclose in an interview if asked about our disabilities. Thank you for your help.

·Will I get discriminated against at work for having a heart problem and for having scars from the multiple surgeries that I have had?

·Being discriminated in the workplace because of MS ·How much do you have to disclose about a disability when applying for a job?

·I have a medical disability with my back and would like to know what my rights are when I apply for a job and may have to do some heavy lifting.

Signed, Career-Planning

Dear Career-Planning:

As you can see, I’ve combined the questions you and your classmate have asked. Also in a separate e-mail I will attach the information sheet I have prepared on this topic. Possibly no other topic is more Internet accessible than disabilities employment. Your questions do not indicate if you have yet sought answers to your questions that are at your fingertips. Over one million sources will come up with those two words. Also use of your local Yellow Pages and school library will give you answers.

We do not do papers for students, but because you are forthright in stating what you are seeking, I will provide some guidelines and a page with resources. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) became law on July 26, 1990, should be your principal resource. The act and its Fact Sheets with examples should help you with concrete information for your report. See the attachment to my recommendations that quotes from the Act and helpful resources.

Our site does not answer medical or legal questions; however, we do give advice regarding how to access relevant information and about communication regarding such topics and more general work related matters. Now my opinion as to your several questions: In an interview, one with a heart condition does not have to show her/his scars from surgery.

Should an individual interviewing for a job who a heart condition, MS, or back problems disclose accurate information about it and how its limitations regarding performance? Yes, but that should not be the first or most important aspect of a job interview. Rather, an applicant should lead with description of his/her skills and previous related job experience.Job applicants with serious medical conditions would be wise to have copies of medical assessment of their condition.

The ethical question that such applicants should ask is: If I were an employer, what would I need to know about this applicant regarding her/his health regarding the specific needs of the job as described and general medical costs to the company? Privacy regarding one’s medical condition and record are relevant when applying for a job. Perhaps the most relevant are such illnesses as HIV.

The American Civil Liberties provides this answer: “If you’re applying for a job, an employer cannot ask about your health until you are offered a job. The only questions you can be asked in an interview must be related to your ability to do the job you’re applying for. “However, once you’ve been offered a job but before you start work, an employer can make you take a general medical exam. The exam must be the same for all new employees, but it may include questions that would disclose the fact that you have HIV, such as whether you have any illnesses and what medications you take. If you are in this situation, it is important to answer all questions honestly.

In many situations, you may be able to sue the employer if he changes his mind and takes back the job offer once he learns you have HIV. But lying to the medical examiner gives the employer a valid reason to take back the offer. “If you’ve been offered the job or have already been doing the job for a while, your employer can ask if you have HIV or require you to take an HIV test, but only if your HIV status is relevant to whether you can safely do the job. “An employer cannot refuse to hire you-or decide to fire you-because of worries about higher employee health insurance costs or the possibility you will need to take medical leave if you become sick.”In conclusion, I wish you the best in your report. I hope the attached material I have prepared helps. In addition to these resources, remember that the most helpful and interesting come from face-to-face communication.

So take the time to interview Human Resources and personnel officers in local workplaces. You will be surprised about how interesting and helpful this will be for your report. I predict you and your classmates who follow these guidelines will get top grades. We invite you to send us a copy of your written report. Tell us what you learned and how the report went. The grade you get is not so important as is what you have learned. Please extend our best to your instructor and let her know about our site. Hundreds of Questions from managers and ordinary employees & the Answers posted should provide a unique first hand resource for your career-planning course. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS.