Help! I Am Overlooked By My Boss!

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about being noticed:

I go above and beyond what is asked at work. I am told by others that my work is better than average and that I should be helping others achieve the same success. However, my boss continues to give this honor to others whose work is only average. She gives them the opportunity to train others because these workers are brown nosers.

I am also polite to my boss and try to compliment my boss whenever needed. I make my boss look good and defend her decisions. All I am asking is a little credit where credit is due.I am to the point where I feel I may need to find another job, one where a boss respects those who are better than average. What should I do to make my boss take more notice of my work? I feel that if I were training others our workplace would be able to improve at a better rate than it is.

Signed, Under-appreciated

DearĀ Under-appreciated:

First, I would suggest that you ask your boss for an opportunity to sit down with her to review your overall job performance. During the course of this discussion, probe to determine whether she thinks there are opportunities for your professional growth. Tell her that you would like added responsibilities, and be prepared to offer suggestions on what you could do for her to make her life easier. With your career development in mind, expand your knowledge & skill levels by taking courses in writing and other areas pertinent to your industry. This will not only help your current boss and organization,but would also make you more marketable should you decide to look elsewhere.

I hesitate to mention the reality of workplace politics in this or any environment, but it is quite possible that your boss doesn’t care for you, and simply is not interested in helping advance you career. While very discouraging, this does indeed happen. A frank discussion with your boss about your performance and future career should help you learn where you stand and to realistically plan ahead. I wish you the best of luck!

Mary Shreve