Hire An Extern or Hire A Family Member?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about hiring someone other than a family member:

There is a extern in my office who has been doing great since day one. Summer time is here and it is the busiest time in my office. I really want to hire this girl but I am afraid that upper management won’t allow it since recently the owners sent in a family member to work part time. I don’t need someone part time working here since there isn’t anything for me to give her to work on. What can I do to bring it up to upper management so that they can agree with me to hire the extern. The family member has potential but my office has mostly Spanish speaking patients and this family member doesn’t speak and she only wants to work till January and then she is leaving. I need someone stable who will stay and needs the job. What do I do?

Signed, Need The Right Words

Dear Need The Right Words:

It would seem that the best solution is to make a list of requirements for the position you need to fill, then submit a letter to upper management in which you list the requirements and why they are crucial. Then, you can point out how the extern fills them perfectly but say you could also interview others for the position if management prefers, using the requirements as a guideline.You can apparently prove that the requirements cannot be met by the family member, so that would eliminate her and leave the job available for someone else.

If upper management is concerned about the business, they will want the best employee, based upon needs. If they are more concerned about using a family member, all the arguments in the world won’t change their minds.You are concerned about what upper management might decide, but you haven’t presented a proposal to them yet. Put your list together and let your good reputation with them help sell your recommendations. Best wishes with this matter.