Hourly to Salaried Pay Status?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about hourly to salary:

When I was promoted from a collection specialist to a supervisor, they changed my pay from Hourly to Salary. If I decided to step back down to my original collection specialist position, will they change my pay back to hourly as well?

Signed, Wondering

Dear Wondering:

The decision about your pay status is up to your company or business, but in most companies the pay status is linked to the position not the person. So, if you become a collection specialist again you will go back to hourly pay. Check with HR about that–or ask your manager. Best wishes in your work decision!