How Do I Find A Job If Supervisor Is Slandering Me

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about can’t find another job because of former boss:

I left a job several months ago because my supervisor was constantly sniping about me and tearing me down. It got so bad people in the building weren’t speaking to me, and she finally succeeded in turning the whole office against me. Now I can’t find another job because of her. What to do?!

Signed, Slandered At Work

Dear Slandered At Work:

Before we can respond adequately to your question, we need some additional information, if you would please provide it.

1. What was your supervisor saying that was so serious it would cause people to stop speaking to you? Were they literally refusing to speak to you when you spoke to them? Were you in a large company (you mentioned a building) or small? What happened that made you believe the whole office was against you?

2. Did you report your concerns to HR there? If so, what was done?

3. What is she doing now that would prevent you from finding another job? Do you have proof of that in the form of something in writing? Have current employers told you that she made statements that were so serious they couldn’t hire you?

4. Did you do well at the job before the last one? Could you give that place as a reference instead or, or in addition to, the one where there were problems?That additional information will give us a better idea of your situation.Best wishes.