How Should I Respond To Warning?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about warning regarding leave:

What should I reply to this written warning from my boss? Please treat this mail as documented warning for not adhering to the approved leave plan. You were granted leaves from 20th Aug-22nd Aug, however you did not report to work even on 23rd & 24th of August. Please ensure that this is not repeated else it can lead to disciplinary action. What should I say?

Signed, Concerned

Dear Concerned:

What you should write will depend upon if you violated the company leave policy or if you can prove you did not. However, in either case you will accomplish more by being courteous and cooperative. Apparently this has been investigated already, so whatever you write will just be something to place in your file but won’t make a difference in the warning. However, the way you write it can have an effect on how you are viewed later on. If you want to give an explanation of what happened, you can do that in the letter. Or, you can just acknowledge that you received it and say you won’t make that mistake again.For example:Dear Mr. Lee, I received the warning about violating the leave policy. I thought I was scheduled to be off throughout the entire time and I’m sorry there was confusion about it. I will make sure this mistake doesn’t happen again.Sincerely, XXXXXX  Or, you could say, “Dear Mr. Lee, I received the warning about violating the leave policy. As I told you during the investigation, I do not think I was guilty of violating that policy. I always have Friday and Saturday off and assumed, when I asked for the 20th through 22nd off, that it would be combined with those two regular days off. No one mentioned that it was in place of my regular days off and no one tried to call me on those two days. I have a history of doing good work here and I don’t want you or others to think I would purposely not come to work. I can assure you that I will make sure this confusion doesn’t happen again. Sincerely, XXXX” Or, you could just write,”Dear Mr. Lee, I received the warning about violating the leave policy. I’m sorry this happened and I can promise it won’t happen again.Sincerely, XXXX” I hope these ideas will be helpful.