How To Find Out Who I Report To?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about reporting:

A few years ago, my CFO retired and the person who replaced him is someone I reported directly to prior to that. My question is this, do I have the right to ask if I still report to this person and if so, how should I ask?

Signed, Direct Report

Dear Direct Report:

You have a right to ask who your immediate boss is. However,unless you have an unusual situation or things have only changed in the last couple of days, you will avoid embarrassment by finding out in some way other than asking. That might make it sound as though you haven’t been paying much attention to how your workplace operates! Instead, consider who it is who assigns your work most often. Who signs approvals? Who gave you your last performance evaluation? Who do you report to about routine work? Is it the current CFO or is it someone else? Who do others you work with seem to report to? Is there a table of organization on a website or in other documents? If you can’t find out any other way and if your organization has an HR section, you could ask someone there. You could say you are filling out a form and want to make sure you correctly list the person who is considered your immediate supervisor.With all of those options, I think you can get the answers you need without seeming to have been working all this time without knowing for sure! Best wishes in getting the information.