How To Write To Manager About Lies By Coworkers

Question:

After 14 years of solid work, except the last few months due to much built up stress over the past few years due to mistreatment, and overworked by co-workers, my co-workers (most new to the group) my coworkers suddenly wrote a letter to me demanding me to take a year plus leave of absence.

Their reasons were untruths. I covered a lot for one of them which did lead to exhaustion on my part. They did not tell me they sent a copy to management-nor tell management for instance that I covered for one of my colleagues as I mentioned. Basically what they wrote about me is slander although I have no intention of making this a legal matter. However, this letter really is damaging to my present and future. Co-workers have the power in our company to demand someone to take a leave of absence for a year or longer. (I am fairly sure I know why-but I know to keep the messy part to myself). On my part I should have spoken up sooner to management about what was going on within our group and taken a short leave of absence which would allow me to handle personal situations that were leading to burn out. When I did speak to one of the elders in our group that we should meet with management she asked me not to, saying it would look bad on them. So, I trusted her and did not arrange a meeting with management. I need now to write a letter to management asking for a meeting. There is no formal structure in our company to deal with any of this. I need to clear my name as well as tell the truth of what has been going on with co-workers to management team. I would like to write a letter requesting a meeting to clear the air. What should I write in the letter to management?

Want To Tell My Side Of The Story

Answer:

Dear Want To Tell My Side Of The Story:

Your work situation sounds so odd I can’t imagine how a company or business would work in that way! It seems unfathomable that coworkers could “demand” that a fellow employee take a leave of absence.

However, you only asked about what to write in the letter to your managers, so I will keep my response to that topic.

Consider something like this, changed and adapted to fit your situation:

I received a letter from my coworkers demanding I take a leave of absence and I am aware they wrote to you as well. I would like to ask for an interview so I can explain what has happened that led to the letter and to make it clear that I do not need a leave of absence and do not wish to take one.

If I can have such a meeting I will bring a list of items to demonstrate that my work has been solid for 14 years. I will also have a brief overview of what has happened in the last year that may have led to the letter written by my coworkers.

I won’t take a lot of your time, but feel that it is crucial that I have the chance to let the truth be known. I will be glad to meet with you at your earliest opportunity.

Sincerely, XX That may not fit your needs at all, but the concept is accurate. Let your manager know you want to meet, but don’t go into details in the letter. Let him know what to expect. Assure him that you will be prepared with information not just upset talk.

Then, put together the material you want to bring. Perhaps you can get copies of appraisals. Or, you can have copies of emails that have led to the extra work you have done. If you have coworkers who see you as a good employee, give their names and ask that they be interviewed. If you have anything to support that you are doing excellent work, bring it or refer to it.

That letter should at least get you the interview and with some preparation you will have something to discuss when you are talking to the manager.

Best wishes with this challenging situation!