I Am Unhappy With My Increment.

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about pay scale:

Currently, I have got a salary increment. But it is less than what I expected. I think my company does not follow any particular salary scale system. Some men get too much and some gets less. Some get a hike in salary when they threaten to resign. My responsibilities have increased, but my increment is small in comparison to others. I need advice about how to handle this situation. I think my company is deceiving me. How should I approach to my boss if I want him to review my salary/increment?

Signed, Short Changed

Dear Short Changed:

Congratulations. You got a raise in tough times. You must have proven you add value to your workplace. You say that your company doesn’t follow any particular salary scale. Many companies don’t and are they are far from generous with raises. Secrecy is the rule and it is taboo to inquire what is being paid others.

Apparently, you have rumors that others are being paid more than you. That might or might not be true. Such information is not made public. Usually companies without unions base pay on supply and demand for particularly skilled/talented employees. And some are paid outrageous more than others. If you are a coach for a big time university you can make five times the salary of most professors and ten times that of those temporary instructors who do most of the teaching.

Such disparity is unlikely to change without unions.If you can make a case that your know-how is in demand you can bargain for what you think you should be paid. You can learn that by studying trade association reports of salary ranges and advertise job openings. Learn where you stand regionally and if you are underpaid. You also can prepare a document of good reviews and projects completed, record of productivity or sales, time employed, and a record of dependability.

Make several copies and attach them to a request to have you salary reviews. Speak to your immediate superior to get his/her rationale for your increment and ask for his support should after speaking with him/her you decide to push your case further. One should not be shy about speaking to your superior about wages and where you stand now and in the future. Refrain from gossip about pay and complaints about those who a paid more, unless you want to form a union, and there is nothing to be ashamed about that. Pilots, actors, athletes, most government employees have unions and they bargain for pay.

My best to you. Don’t allow sourness to overcome your commitment to be an influence for good; for cutting wasted supplies, time, and money. Think quality improvement. Keep your head high and shoulders back. Balance work, play, family and civic duty. Do all in your power to shape your workplace to be the kind you want it to be; one in which you can do what you love to do. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS.