I Face Redundancy

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about being redundant:

I have worked for company for 6 years. My first role came to an end after 2 years. I was given another role in different location and did that role for 4 years before going on long term sick leave. When I came back after 2 months, my job stayed with person who had covered my job and I was given an interim job for 12 weeks with view of it becoming permanent. I was told after 12 weeks a new boss was starting and would be reviewed by them. They have now reviewed this and have told me job is no longer available. They have advised me I would be made redundant. The only job they can offer me is 110 miles away and they can’t guarantee I would get it if I did apply. I have never signed anything regarding interim position. I still hold the original contract for second position I was given. How do I stand with this?

Signed, How Do I Stand?

Dear How Do I Stand?:

From here it appears you are out of a job. You attribute this to an extended sick leave and the company’s change in leadership. I gather you have met with your boss and possibly with the personnel office of your workplace. You have been told that there is nothing for you now. Are you in denial that this could happen after six years with this company? It seems you are because you ask: How do I stand and you add that you still hold the original contract for the second position. I don’t know the labor laws within your country, but to set your mind straight you might consult with a government agency and/or a labor attorney. You need some resolution of how you stand.

This uneasiness in your mind prevents you from moving forward. Is not this a time of decision? When plan A no longer is available and plan B requires you to apply for a job many miles away, you need a plan C. Don’t you need to accept that you are no longer wanted and that, if you are like most of us, you need to train for and/or hunt for another job? I have and most of us have weathered changes in jobs that were forced on us. So quickly learn where you stand; it’s not something we can do for you.

Think through what you have learned from this unhappy situation. Reflect on what you can and would like to work at for the next stage of your life. Dress for a job hunt. Talk to yourself about ways you might make your own and others’ lives better. Busy yourself with improving your health of body and mind so that you are more fit for your next job. Don’t allow yourself to play and replay the downward spiral you’ve had with this employer. Don’t wallow with victim-mindedness. See this time as an adventure; one in which you will find working together with hands, head, and heart in a new workplace takes and makes big WEGOS. You’ll sense the meaning of this advice if you scan some of the Q &As in our Archives. And if you can make time to do so, in a few weeks update us on what you have learned as you transition to a new job.