I Need Help Organizing

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about loss of job due to failure of documenting cases:

I was recently fired for poor documentation. This is not anything new; this has happened to me several times. It has me wanting to rethink my career, but I love what I do. How do I improve my organizational and time management skills so this doesn’t happen to me again? By the way, I work in the social services field (mental health) and large caseloads deadlines and audits are a mainstay. Thanks for your help

Signed, Very Discouraged

Dear Very Discouraged:

I’m sorry you were fired. You have reason to be very discouraged if this has happened to you before. Do you understand precisely why you were fired? Were you trained well? Before you were fired, did you get a warning? You say the reason for firing you was poor documentation. Can you now state what errors you made and/or failed to document? Have you had an exit interview to spell out incidents and examples of poor documentation? Errors will continue unless you can know what is expected.

I assume you have the necessary credentials for social services; therefore, you will continue on this career path. Possibly the reason for your firing is other than what was told you. Have you any former coworkers who can level with you about any other reasons you were fired, such as attitude, poor hygiene, annoying habits?

Undoubtedly, if you are like the rest of us, you need a job, and therefore how you respond to this latest loss of a job will be a challenge. You must fight against self-pity and allowing what happened to play over and over again in your head like a broken record. From this distance, there is little that can be said to tell you how to document your work. That is job specific. Surely you have seen models of what is required.

If the case loads are too heavy to document adequately, you will have to negotiate with your supervisor how much you can do in the allotted time. Now you will have to decide if you are going to get out of bed as though you were going to work as you did before. Now you will have to decide if you will dress each day as though you were going for an interview. Now you will need to eat right and walk to keep your health up. You will need to find ways to feel you are making a contribution without a job; volunteering in a hospital, tutoring a child or adult in the library, singing in a choir, working in a food pantry.

Now you will need to take on a job hunt as though you are problem solving; finding the kind of job you would like, but taking any job to help keep bread on the table. Now you will need to talk to yourself in positive terms.

After all you are more than just someone who lost a job. Many of us have lost jobs. You are an individual with hands, head, and heart and you deserve to be treated with respect until and after you get another job. So think resilience. Think of what you can do in spite of this disappointment. There are those you will come across who need a word of cheer.Do let me know how you meet this challenge. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS, and that applies to wherever you work or don’t work.