I Raised My Voice

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about being corrected: I felt very insecure and ashamed. I am still in my teens while my coworkers are in the 30s.

I raised my voice at work yesterday morning. After lunch, everything seemed all right. I didn’t even notice it, but now that I realized it, I feel awful and embarrassed. A coworker/mentor/boss was speaking to me about a task that I worked very hard on. It appears that there were mistakes that I overlooked. However, that person started to question me about what I was doing wrong and then, tuning me out, had me rework the problem that could have been fixed easily by changing the format. That person was also stressed over something. I felt very insecure and ashamed. I am still in my teens while my coworkers are in the 30s. I feel as if I’m not good enough.What should I do? I know I’m in the wrong, but should I let it go?

Signed, Embarrassed

DearĀ Embarrassed:

Let it go? No. You need not make a dramatic case over it, but quietly apologize for reacting with a raised voice. Tell your coworker/mentor boss, in your own words, ” I am ashamed that I reacted defensively yesterday. You were right. I was wrong. I appreciate your help and have a lot to learn. One thing I will work on is learning how to take criticism.”

Often we learn best when we make mistakes. Cultivate a learning attitude. That is something that will help you career wise no matter what is your age. Think positive and think big. By that I mean make doing high quality work your goal, to please your internal and external customers. That too will please your coworker/mentor boss.Do read other of our Q&As and click on my co-workplace doctor’s name, Tina Lewis Rowe, to access her site. She has tons of good advice for an individual who is early on his/her career path. You will find much advice about working solo and in a team. Our advice is to help correct and prevent mistakes; to be forewarned is to be forearmed. That is what is meant by my signature sentence: Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS.