I Was Told I’m Not Up To Standard

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about perfomance time.

Can you be told that your performance is not up to standard in the review and not before?I

Signed, Down About Not Being Up

Dear Down About Not Being Up:

Yes, you can. However, it would have been helpful prior to a review for your supervisor to communicate her/his concern about not meeting standards. A wise supervisor doesn’t just grade; he/she coaches, holding skull sessions frequently and pointing out what is right and what is not up to standard. Also a good supervisor specifies training that is needed that would help the employee meet standards. Can a teacher wait until the end of the semester to assign a D. Yes, she/he can. But that is not the best way to help a student.

Now can you be frustrated about being told you are not up to standard when you weren’t told that before your review? Yes, you can and you can allow that frustration to fester and make you sore. Would that be wise? You know that would not. So should you express your frustration to your superior? Yes, you should. And you can request that your supervisor confer with you more frequently, informing you when you are doing well and what you need to do to perform up to standard.

Too often, employees avoid the eyes of their supervisors and they are shy about asking, “Coach, how well am I doing? What might I do to better help our team?” A frank talk about what is expected is smart talk. It is a habit that smart employees cultivate. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS, and that is really what you want and your boss wants. You both want to do well; to meet and surpass the expectations of your internal and external customers. Doing that makes big WEGOS.