I’m Being Set Up

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about being set up to fail:

I was given the supposed latchkey to the store by my manager. It didn’t work, so he sent a fellow key holder to lock up the store as I witnessed. Next day the alarm was set and the door was left unlocked. There was a set of extra keys on the desk not there the previous night. When notified, the manager didn’t care to even count the deposits to verify theft or not. It was my first time to close and this happens. Before this happened, he was to be transferred, and I was to take over as manager. Am I paranoid or should I consult a lawyer? Should I ask to see security video? What if they deny it?

Signed, Am I Paranoid?

DearĀ Am I Paranoid?:

As you will see, I changed some of what you sent in order that it made sense to me. If I have misstated anything, I apologize. Relax. Don’t think the worst. Don’t see those above as adversaries. Don’t think an attorney is where you should turn. Perhaps it too late to suggest it would be a mistake to allow the kind of thoughts you sent in your letter to rumble about in your head or to obsessively talk about them with those with whom you work. Back off of thinking someone has set you up to fail.

Sure the outgoing manager messed up by giving you the wrong keys and didn’t prove responsible to count deposits. How the extra keys appeared the next morning is something you may never know. If yon need to defend yourself, do so briefly and coolly.

Managers learn from what goes wrong. For example, I expect you’ve learned to verify the next time you are given keys–to check to see if they work, rather that assuming they were the right ones. No doubt you are learning to say you are sorry and not defensively shift blame. Now you will learn how to deal professionally when something bad happens; to inquire why and what could be done to prevent such bad things in the future. So learn from this. May your next few days as manager, or manager in waiting, be less stressful. May they allow you to focus on pleasing customers and worry less about your superiors. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS, and isn’t that what you want for the team you will manage?