I’m Doing More Work Than Everyone Else!

Question:

I work my butt off at work, but I’m the only one who does. Everybody relies on me to get everything done and I don’t think it’s fair. WHAT DO I DO? I just want a little appreciation from my boss.

Frustrated and Overworked

Answer:

Dear Frustrated and Overworked:

If you want to do less work, you might be able to do that by not volunteering so quickly. If you want more appreciation, that might be more difficult to achieve! (Which is sad, but often true.) You really only have three options if you keep working there: Stop doing the extra work if it is not assigned directly to you; do less work to the point that it takes some pressure off you; do the work but ask your boss about it or at least engage your boss in enough conversation about it that you can feel that he or she appreciates it.

If everyone relies on you and you do work that is not assigned to you, maybe you should back off on that a bit. Ask coworkers to ask your boss if you can help them on things, given that you have your own work to do. Or, when no one else is doing work that needs to be done, keep silent until someone steps up and does it.

If you are stuck because of the way work is organized in your office, maybe you can ask your boss if you can talk about it, and explain that you don’t mind working hard, but you are feeling that you are doing far more than your share. Ask if there could be a meeting to discuss work assignments, or ask him to look at the workload and see if there could be some adjustments.

In many offices there are one or two people who seem to do more than their share. But often they jump in and do it, when others would if they didn’t volunteer so quickly. If you were gone, the work would probably get done. So, try to focus on your own assigned work and simply don’t be so ready or avaialble to help if someone else should be doing it. But, at some point I think you need to talk to your boss about it and let him know you are not trying to get out of work, you are simply trying to not feel so overloaded with work that others should be doing.

Best wishes as you tackle this problem.