Incorrect Performance Reviews!

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about inaccurate reviews:

I would like to know some common problems that may make a performance review inaccurate on the behalf of the management.

Signed, Common Problems

Dear Common Problems:

Inaccuracies? They fall on both sides of positive and negative, and they occur because it is difficult for a manager to really know what has transpired to cause performance to be good or bad. Often individual performance hinges on others if the individual is competent in skills needed and responsible in regard to attendance. Most managers tend to rate performance higher than average because they do not want to be disliked and because they know that low scores dishearten those they manage. Confronting poor performance is not pleasant because few people like to be disliked. On the other hand, bully managers take pleasure in managing by fear and threats of punishment.

Overall, I do not favor the practice of performance reviews by managers. Rather, I think performance is a group-wide, division-wide and organization-wide matter that is best judged by the numbers of satisfied and dissatisfied internal and external customers. If individuals do not work well with those with whom they interact, those individuals will make that clear and retraining or attitude adjustment measures will then become the job of management. Why do you ask?

Our site is not meant to answer academic questions, but is committed to help those who are experiencing real workplace concerns. So if you have a specific concern, let us know more specifically what that is. If you are in school or training to be a manager, I hope these thoughts help you to research this topic because books and magazines address it again and again.Think ego as part of WEGO.