Initiative Makes a Specific Feel Good

A specific incident at work that made me feel good at work was when I started a new job at the start of summer. It was my second day of working there. I was in the kitchen and it was very slow. Other employees were standing around talking to one another with nothing to do. I chose to start cleaning all the tables, sinks, and even the fryer! I was doing so as all the other employees were still standing around talking. My boss came in the back and saw that I was the only one working in the kitchen. He told the other employees to observe what I was doing. My boss said to me that day that I was manager material and it made me feel great that someone knew I was working harder than everyone else.

In two months of working there I am now a manager and head trainer. My boss could have promoted any of the other longer lasting employees, but instead he chose me because I had the initiative to do more than anyone else.