Interim Position Passed By

Question:

I interviewed for a supervisor permanent position. Did well with all interviews, and when it was time to make a final decision, they decided to change the position from permanent to interim. The happened to me and three other people. We were asked to sign a letter stating that the interim position would last approximately 4 months and after the 4 months if a permanent position was available they would offer it and if it wasn’t then you would go back to your old position. 4 months came and went by the 5th month I asked what would happen now. They had no answer 6th month still no answer 7th month no answer. At this point it is frustrating that as an Interim Supervisor I have a larger workload then a permanent Supervisor. My reveiws from my manager have exceeded expectations. All I want is an answer. I am now in the 11th month of the interim position stressed out because I have asked over and over again what is my status and the answer I keep getting is… I have talked to upper management and they have no answers yet but are looking into it. 2 weeks later I see 3 people promoted to Senior Supervisor. I was annoyed to see that and decided to resign. Is this fair what they did and how is it okay?

Decided to Resign

Answer:

Dear Decided to Resign:

No, it doesn’t sound fair. Can they do that? Yes. Does this mean you have taken another job? I assume you would not quit without another job unless you did so impulsively in anger. You have my sympathy if you are now without work or are you in your old position? If now unemployed, can you salvage this or at least learn from it? Maybe there is not much to learn except that management can play it as they like unless you have a strong union. Keep those positive evaluations. Make copies of them. Prepare a resume. Don’t allow unfairness to sour you. Don’t allow yourself to rely on savings. Get out of the house and hunt for another job. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. Find another job soon even if it is temporary and/or get more training in a field that is needed. If you are in your old position, is it one you can live with? Is it one you can once again reapply should a new job be posted? Can you be a good employee in spite of this disappointment? Let us know.