Intoxicated Boss

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about drunk owner fired employee:

I recently got let go from a restaurant where the owner was and is intoxicated on several occasions. I was very uncomfortable with it and spoke my mind and then was let go because of it. When I had asked the manager if the owner was intoxicated she said, “Yes, very.” And I asked why he was trying to manage his employees under the influence;I did not receive and answer. Is there any laws protecting employees against intoxicated employers and wrong firing?

Signed, Fired

DearĀ Fired:

Not that I know of. Unfortunately, one can be fired for a good reason or no reason unless it linked to discrimination, contrary to a union agreement or breaking contract. We don’t provide legal advice, so you might confer with a local attorney.

The important thing is that you now learn from this. Q. What might you learn? A. How to speak your mind firmly but respectfully, even to an intoxicated boss. Or more importantly to choose a place of employment that has policies in place for what is unacceptable behavior. I expect that this was “just a job” and not a career path for you.

Was this your dream job? If not, what do you need to do to prepare for work will make you feel you are using your talents? Rather than to allow this unhappy experience to prey on your mind, might you use as lesson of how not to boss and manage a workplace. For one of these days, after you’ve acquired appropriate training and several years of employment, you too might be in a supervisory or management position.Working together with hands, head and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. Work is hard enough without having to deal with a bad boss, but finding employee-friendly work doesn’t just happen; having good luck. It is a product of you shaping a career path.