Is It Libel to Lie?

Question:

My coworker, told her father’s company that I came up to her stating I want to sue them, get paid, fake a back injury, and they violated FMLA act with a Manager. Then told them when you confront her, tell her it was a rumor, heard from the grapevine. Then all the managers took turns sending negative emails about me. Nothing specific, more like she is hard to work with, she cursed at this employees, she is angry etc etc. Then the same coworker, told them I was hanging up on guest. From 8/27/12-101/12. Fired and that was that. But made sure they fired me the day before my 5 year dinner. A sick joke. Was this libel?

Lied About

Answer:

Dear Lied About:

If the coworker lied she certainly did a terrible thing, but it isn’t libel, under the law.

I don’t know why the coworker made up an elaborate story to get you in trouble, but apparently it seemed believable to those who could dismiss you. Or maybe it was just a handy excuse, even though it was believed. An employer can fire and employee for no reason at all and that may be what happened here.

The best thing you can do now is to focus on the next job and how you can start out in a way that will give you a chance to be more successful.

Everyone will react more positively to people who are positive in their conversations and actions. Everyone reacts more positively to people who smile and say hello. The saying is true, “If you want a friend, show yourself to be friendly.”

If you had friends at your last workplace, ask them if they have advice for you now. Or, talk to a friend or family member you respect and trust and ask them if they have seen aspects of your personality that could create a problem.

I don’t know you and don’t want you to feel that I am placing all the blame on you. But, I would be unfair to you if I didn’t suggest that you look for what went wrong there and how you could make sure you correct it in your next work.

One thing is for sure: You don’t have to repeat the same things in your new job. Move forward and realize that if you were having those problems, you are better off away from there anyway.