Is It Sexual Discrimination?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about sexual discrimination: I can clearly prove a deliberate attempt to keep me from an appointment, based purely on this person’s dislike for me, as well as their false preference notes. Is this sexual discrimination? How should I proceed?

I work in a high end spa; and know that a spa, if they want to truly satisfy their guests, should ask them if they have a preference in gender for their services. That is not the issue; however, in my opinion the reservation system is a bit archaic, and as spa workers, we are at their mercy. A particular reservation agent over the years has become quite jaded, and has, according to some, started to dislike me for personal reasons.

Of course as all Spa Workers know, your reservation agent is the key to your pay check in this type of situation, so I have made many attempts to quell whatever ill feelings this person may have for me, but always get the “no sweetie, there is nothing wrong” line from them. Recently I have confirmed that this person is placing false gender preferences on guests so as keep me from the right of the appointment, solely based on the clients “alleged gender preference” I have now confirmed, and documented six separate incidences. I reported the first one with no avail from the supervisor. However now I can clearly prove a deliberate attempt to keep me from an appointment, based purely on this person’s dislike for me, as well as their false preference notes. Is this sexual discrimination? How should I proceed?

Signed, Where To Go From Here

Dear Where To Go From Here:

Falsifying a gender preference for a spa appointment doesn’t fall under the category of sexual discrimination. A quick search on the Internet will give you information about protected categories that are covered by that term. Your superior should listen to and investigate your account of the actions of this agent; then should take action.Since you have attempted to resolve what you perceive as a dislike and sabotage by this agent, I don’t know what more your boss might do; other than to simply not take requests for appointments from him/her. You know the business and probably know what leverage, if any, there is to get correction, penalize, and/or generate cooperation.

Possibly your spa representative can confront the agent or the employer of that agent and resolve the matter.I doubt that you will be successful in spelling out what you document as malicious gender designation to that agent. But perhaps a three-way meeting of you two and your superior might help. The success of that agent in some way should be linked to your spa. There must be a mutual benefit to the agent and the spa or one should be created. Not knowing that leaves it up to you dealing with a breakdown of interpersonal communication and good will that appears is lacking. Please provide more information if you know more about the interlocking benefit to the spa and agent and we will rethink the inadequate advice of this replay to your question.

Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS. Guard against pointing fingers and blame. That probably will not resolve this matter. Somehow and some way all those concerned at your spa and the agent need to find value in clear and honest communication. Only then can you all know the financial reward and deep satisfaction of success.