Is It Wrong?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about an outside commission for getting business:

I work as a marketing manager at a company and now we are planning to invest on billboard advertising. I am the one who will choose which billboard company that we should buy from. Is it wrong or considered cheated if I take commission from a billboard company?

Signed, Wondering

Dear Wondering:

You are asking an important question–important for both legal and ethical reasons. As you should have seen on our site, we don’t provide legal advice, but it seems to me that such a deal would appear as a form of bribery. Have you discussed this matter with your boss and/or checked with your company’s policy book? Is it really different from a municipal purchaser offering to buy supplies for a vendor who would agree to take her on a golfing outing and do work on her home?

Asking this kind of question indicates you are cautious about business matters and more importantly that you are sensitive to what is good business practice. If you learn more, please let me know. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS, and of course that takes individuals with character. My best to you in your job and career.