Labor Board Because Of A Hostile Environment?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about impossible to satisfy boss:

I’ve worked for this company for 12 years. When I just was hired maybe nine months into my current job I started getting sick. I didn’t know why. Then one day I asked my manager to go home, and she says I better find out what my problem is or don’t come back. I went on sick leave that night and didn’t return for 3 months because I had gallstones that shut my liver down. I should have done something then when she said this but I let it ride.

She got a promotion and I took over her job. She was over me as a store director, and I was just a dept. manager. Nothing I did was right. She constantly was on my case for something. It got so bad that I just stepped down. Now she is doing the same thing to my dept. manager. It is getting bad. Can we go to the fair labor board because she is creating a hostile work environment? I go into work wondering what I am doing wrong and if she is going to jump down my throat. She raises her voice and I just shake. I don’t feel that this is right.

Signed, Shaking

Dear Shaking:

Taking a quick backwards look at your situation, I would say that you definitely should have “requested” and had an approved sick leave granted . I am sure with gallstones you would not have had a problem being approved. So for the future, make your supervisor aware of any known illnesses, and if a sick leave is warranted, request in advance. After you returned to work, I understand you were given a promotion but stepped down. There was probably a lack of good communication at that point.

You must clearly know your job expectations, and if you are having difficulty, go to your supervisor and discuss with what you need assistance. Normally if supervision “is constantly on your case,” it relates to job performance. You must know your job! Did you have a good orientation period? Do you need additional training to improve on skills? Please let the new department manager handle her/his own situation. Perhaps this person does not feel that there is a hostile work place.

At any rate, it is management’s problem. But it appears that you do feel that the supervisor is creating an unpleasant situation at work. I suggest that you request a conference with that person to discuss you concerns. Frequent communication is key to successful employee/employer relationships. Working together as a team should eliminate the real or imagined hostile workplace. Based on the information received in the e-mail, I do not believe there is any labor board that would address this issue. Good luck, Think WEGO. Hold your head high. Be respectful and expect respect. No one should shake when a boss speaks.

Gerald Allen