Let Go Unfairly. What Now?

Question:

I am a volunteer who was let go because I was not needed or wanted and someone else immedialely took my position. I had been told I was doing a great job for the past nine months. Maine is an at will state and you can be let go for no good reason. It hardly seems fair. I felt my manager was becoming threatened by my performance. I never had designs on her position. I was happy doing what I was doing. I was her second in command.

Frustrated

Answer:

I’m sure you are frustrated and feeling hurt about this situation. Sadly, there is probably nothing you can do and you may never know the full story. If you still have friends there perhaps they have a perspective that would be useful. If you were the second in command to your manager, maybe your relationship will allow you to talk to her about it.

I hope you will be asking for a reference letter. The response to that request might let you know whether you were let go and replaced, or if you were let go, but the person replacing you isn’t doing exactly what you were doing. It may be that they used a cost-cutting measure by doing away with your job description but creating a similar one for which they could pay less salary.

I hope your next job is much better for you than this one, and that if there were inadvertant actions on your part that created a problem, you will be able to determine what those were and learn from it. Probably there was nothing you did. Probably it was either an organizational issue, or a style difference between you and your boss.

Best wishes you to as you move forward and put this behind you, so you can be happy in a new place.