Lied About And Not Being Treated Fairly

Question:

I started as a substitute aide in one of the local schools in my town, a couple of months ago. I was placed in the ABA (Applied Behavioral Analysis) room and was working with a specified child.

This child was being transitioned into regular classes, so every morning we were in a mainstream room up until a week and a half ago. The class I was taking this child to has a first year male teacher who, from what I was told by the ABA teacher, was saying really nice things about my job performance.

I went into work yesterday and was called out of class by the principal to speak to me. She sat me down and informed me that the male teacher had informed her I was taunting the child I work with, that I come into work way too early, spoke of personal things to to the child and told him the children in the class do not respect him.

I clarified the situation to her by stating none of these things were at all truthful. She said OK, told me to not come into work early, which I do not, and sent me on my way.

I came into work this morning and went about my normal routine when I found out that I was removed from the student and the classroom by a CST member, not the principal, with no explanation why. I went back to the ABA class and the teacher in there informed me that another teacher had been talking poorly of me for the past week.

Now I am being looked at as if I am the problem. I am completely uncomfortable going to the place that I loved to be at. I have suffered multiple anxiety attacks in the last 24 hours. Is there anything I can do?

Feeling Rejected

Answer:

DearĀ Feeling Rejected:

Your situation sounds too complex for us to make a fully informed judgment about it from a distance. You will benefit from talking to someone who knows the school, knows your history and capabilities and who can help you sort through what has happened.

At this point you are not being fired or demoted. You have only been stopped from working with one student and dealing with one teacher. Your best approach might be to focus on doing your work exactly right, asking for input from the teachers you are assisting and being extra careful about everything you say and do. That’s a challenge, but may be necessary.

I know you will feel awkward about this for awhile, but time will help. I’m sure you need the job and don’t want to quit. So, stay focused and be such an effective person that others will see the real you and feel guilty for doubting you even for a moment.

I do think though you need to talk about this with someone closer to the situation who could help you analyze it and figure out the source of the problem.

Best wishes with this situation. If you have the time and wish to do so, let us know what happens.