Loud, Loud Music

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about loud music:

I work in a restaurant where loud music is played by the chefs. Is this allowable? I don’t feel it is, and I mean loud music to a volume I don’t need…I’m 50.

Signed, Crying Out Loud

Dear Crying Out Loud:

You are not alone. Loud music is akin to standing near a jet taking off. Your question is a legal one and our site only answers questions pertaining to workplace communication. But there is information accessible to answer your question:

· “The Federal government says levels over 85 dB are dangerous. A vacuum cleaner runs about 70 dB, a jackhammer at 100 dB, and sandblasting about 110 dB. Each increase of 10 decibels represents a doubling of the perceived sound. So the Sound Factory’s peak of 115 dB is significantly louder than sandblasting. If a hostile government conspired to destroy the hearing of America’s young people, it would be hard pressed to come up with a better formula than the typical dance club.” http://www.hearnet.com/features/articles/artist_article_EdWclub.shtml

· Is loud noise against the law? Typically, yes. The laws may vary depending on your zoning. For instance, if you’re a bar in a commercial district, complaints by residential neighbors may be taken less seriously due a more commercial location. But if you’re just a noisy neighbor, complaints will likely be taken seriously by local law enforcement. Usually noise ordinances are city laws rather than state laws. So, call your local police department to find out exactly what laws in your city exist against noise. Such laws will typically outline the volumes and time of days that are permissible in your jurisdiction. Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_loud_noise_against_the_law#ixzz1F50UPQJe · Also you can Ask a Lawyer Online Workplace Law Question? Ask It Here, Get an Answer ASAP. Law.JustAnswer.com/Workplace-Law Probably, your work situation will remain as it is, even if you make a case for reasonable levels of sound. Why? Because we humans aren’t as smart as we should be about preserving our health, and that includes our hearing.

Also persuading those who have established a habit of turning the volume up to deafening levels can be as difficult as it is to persuade them to stop smoking and drinking. You can speak with your chefs and managers to make your discomfort known. Up front you should explain to them that you understand their like of music while working. Engaging them in a conversation about your feelings and theirs about loud music might lead to a week’s trial of lowering the decibels below 85. Then follow-up with a time-out skull session to learn if they could still enjoy their work.Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS (and that includes your ears) is a way to think about what you want for all concerned. Give talk a chance and keep us posted.