Making Favorable Impression As New Coworker

Question to Ask  the Workplace Doctors about making a favorable job interview impression:

As a job applicant, the interviewers will try to assess not only my work competence but also my personality and how well I might fit in with their team. What can I do to increase my chances of being liked, or perceived as someone they’d want to work closely with. I think I’m likeable and friendly. What kind of person would you want to be stuck in a 4 hour car ride with? Someone funny; smart; talkative; confident; or what?

Signed, Want To Show My Best Side

Dear Want To Show My Best Side:

This sounds very much like a school project, with two essay questions tacked together. Whether it is or not, my response is about the same: Assuming you are a normal, regular person, all you have to do is ask yourself what kind of person YOU want to be around. And, what is it you find most likeable or problematic about people you work with? Make a list of the things that have frustrated, angered, irritated or disturbed you about people in the past. Find a friend and ask him or her if they agree those things are difficult to put up with. That will give you an idea what you want to avoid. Then, do the same thing for positive traits and work to incorporate those into your life.

The key is to really BE some way, not to PRETEND to be some way. The only thing you might view much differently than others is communication style and humor. Those tend to vary a great deal and can create conflict and misunderstandings. But that’s where moderation comes in. As long as you are not extreme about any of your traits you will likely not offend most people and will be liked by almost everyone.As for who I would want to be stuck in a 4 hour car ride with: Someone who sleeps, or someone who drives and lets ME sleep. But I doubt that was what you were after. I would enjoy a four hour car ride with someone who shared my general interests and experiences, and who both talked and listened. A funny person can be very wearing.

A smart person can be very intimidating. A confident person can be very irritating. A talkative person can be very boring. A quiet person can be very tiring. But someone who is interested in people and the world around them, and who is skillful at communicating through both talking and listening, is usually a pleasure to be with and time flies!

I hope these thoughts were helpful. Best wishes!