Must My Employer Pay My Vacation When I Quit?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about vacation pay:

I quit my job and gave two weeks notice. I had two weeks vacation. She says she does not have to pay me the vacation time because Texas is an at will state. Is this true?

Signed, Needing Advice

Dear Needing Advice:

I’m sorry, but we are a workplace communications site rather than a legal site and we don’t know Texas labor laws. However, there is a website with information that may assist you. I think you should try to talk to someone there directly. http://www.twc.state.tx.us/customers/jsemp/employee-rights-laws.htmlI can tell you that being an “at will” state has nothing to do with your vacation time. That phrase refers to firing decisions and whether or not cause must be shown. There is a great deal of misunderstanding about ‘at will” employment issues and your employer may misunderstand it as well.You need to talk to someone who can provide you with specific information–and your state’s Department of Labor is a free resource.