My Boss Called Me A Liar

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about a boss name calling:

In front of perhaps 40 co-workers and guests, my boss loudly berated and belittled me, actually callng me a “liar” Do I have any recourse?

Signed, I Am Not A Liar

Dear I Am Not A Liar:

What’s next? That is partly up to you and partly to your boss. Now is the time to meet with her/him and to talk about this berating and accusation. Get specifics and face up to the accusation. If you have provoked such unseemly behavior, apologize and request that your boss bring such disappointment about you to you in private in the future. Should your boss and you come to an understanding that her/his behavior was out of line, and particularly if this is a pattern of your boss, seek the advice of Human Resources or your personnel department.  Then make a written request for an investigation. Prepare a description of the public berating and of what precipitated it, and a log in other times of bullying behavior. Make several copies.

Probably such an account will then be a part of an investigation. Hopefully, you and your boss can put this humiliating event behind you and that it can serve as a time to improve communication between you. Sometimes it takes a blow up to hammer out rules of when and how differences and complaints are voiced. So now guard against making this a verbal battle. Avoid gossip. Now is a time to renew your commitment to responsible work and to your workplace. Working together with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS.