My Boss Has An Insanely Jealous Wife!

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about family business and jealous wife:

I’ve been friends with a man for seven years and we have been working together for the last year and half. His wife has had a hairy eye for me from day one! She is insecure, jealous, suspicious and paranoid. She planted a hidden recorder in his truck to catch our conversations! We live in a “two party” state, so she broke the law and it’s a felony! They are separated and a divorce is in progress. She has been harassing him daily with phone calls, texts and emails. I’ve received a few of the same. She’s made a huge stink about me working with him.

They are business partners, although he is the owner. However, she insists she has to “authorize” him working with me. He needs my help with the type of work we do. It’s getting really ugly and very stressful. I don’t want to lose my job because I love what I do, nor do I want to lose my friendship. She’s insisting I’m his mistress but I’m not! Is there something I can do to protect myself from her harassment and irrational behaviors?

Signed, Under Attack

DearĀ Under Attack:

Although your primary concern is to stop the harassing behavior of phone calls and emails, I hope you are very cautious and aware that your boss’s wife might try to do something to harm you or your property. It sounds as though she is capable of almost anything!

Contact the District Attorney or County Attorney to ask about a restraining order as well as to ask about filing charges related to the recording she made, if that was illegal. Ask them about protective measures you might take.

Sadly, this woman will probably always be part of the picture, even if she and your boss are divorced, and may always be unstable. However, at least you can protect yourself as much as possible. Best wishes to you and to your boss/friend who needs to be on defensive as well.