My Boss Is Stealing-Should I Report It?

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about boss charging the company for personal items:

I like this job a lot and don’t want to get fired. However my boss has bought cigarettes and even dog bones for his dog on the company account. He told the office he lost the receipt. The other day the liquor order came in and there was a charge for eight bottles of wine at thirty dollars a bottle, which we never carry. The wine was put in his car. I have seen receipts for roses. I don’t want people to feel like I am reporting him to try to take his job, even though I am qualified.

Signed, Wondering

Dear Wondering:

If you have this kind of proof, or even this much suspicion, you should contact the management level that is high enough to investigate this and take action about it. It might be that there is an explanation you don’t know about. Or, it may be as bad as you think.

Consider this: If you know about it and don’t report it, what will that look like when the truth finally comes out–as it inevitably will. Reporting what seems to be misuse of money and credit accounts to your higher managers will not be seen as trying to get your boss’s job. It will probably be viewed as what a good employee should do. Take the approach that you are not making an accusation, you are only reporting something that seems suspicious, and you don’t feel you can go directly to your boss.Best wishes in dealing with this.