My Boss Cut Me Back To Part Time

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about being cut to part time:

I have been in my job for 12 months. For the last 3 months I have been full time, on salary($40,000). Yesterday morning my boss called me into his office and told me he is making me casual (part time) again. I work night shift in a hotel. The reason for him doing this was that no one will ever cover my shift for my RDO’s or sick days, so he is getting rid of the shift altogether. Can he do this?

My boss refused to provide me with a copy of my contract for the time I was full time. I and my partner have just had our first born and he knows this but he said “Tough.” I cant support my family because of what he has done. I really need some help in finding out if he can do this. If the other staff won’t do their jobs, why do I get punished for it? Please give me some advice. I spoke with my union and they said that there isn’t much they can do cause my hotel doesn’t employ more than 100 staff. I need my full-time employment back to provide for my family.

DearĀ Worried:

I’m so sorry about this situation for you, but I think your employer is within his rights to do this. He is running a business to try to make profits–and if your shift can be left vacant part of the time, why not just do away with it? That makes sense, even though it’s a sad thing for you.

Consider asking him if there are other part time jobs you could combine with this part time shift, to make one full time shift. Or, maybe you could see about working the other shift as a fill in for people who call in sick. None of those may be likely, but I’m trying to think of some option for you at that place.It may be that your best solution is to find another job that DOES need full time work.

Be sure to talk to social services agencies about the aid you can receive while you are looking, since you have an expectant partner and need even more financial resources than usual.Talk to your Department of Labor, for the area in which you work, if there is one there. They may be able to talk to you about any regulations or laws governing this. But, I can’t imagine there would be. An employer is not required to keep a shift going that he doesn’t need.I wish I had more uplifting news.

This will be a time that will try your strength and optimism I’m sure. It might be the most challenging of your life for this kind of situation. But, hopefully you will be able to overcome it in creative ways, and by looking at every option, including temporarily asking your family for assistance, if that’s a possibility.Best wishes to you in this situation. If you have the time and wish to do so, let us know what happens with all of this.