My Doctor Boss Is Humiliating

Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about a rude MD:

I work for a doctor for 1 year now and he hired a new girl about 1 month ago and now he has humiliated me and talked very rude to me in front of my patients. He also was rude to a patient and she almost cried. What can I do? I have had 3 incidents in the past 3 weeks, but none before the new girl. Can I file a complaint?

Signed, Humiliated

Dear Humiliated:

If you work for a medical corporation and the doctor has a managers above him, you could file a complaint. If the doctor runs his own office, there is probably no one to complain to. However, I wonder if you have tried to talk to the doctor about this? Or, to an office manager or to someone else who might give you another perspective. You don’t say what happened that was humiliating. Maybe he did not think of it that way. Or maybe he thinks doctors can treat employees like that. (It’s a sad fact that such feelings can be present in some medical offices.)

It could be that the doctor you work for likes the new employee and compares the two of you and would like to see you leave. Or, it could be that the new employee has nothing to do with it, it just has worked out that way. After all, you said the doctor was rude to a patient as well. So, until you find out, you don’t really know what is the cause of all of this. Until you know the cause you can’t even try to make it better.

I think you should ask someone you trust if they have any insight into this situation. Then, look at your last performance evaluations and see if the doctor or anyone else has complained about your work. If not, you have something to mention to the doctor—“I seem to be doing good work. Why are you treating me like this?” You may find you don’t want to stay in that situation. If you decide to leave, make sure you leave on good enough terms that you can get a letter of reference. Keep focused on doing good work and being a good team member, until you can find a place that is more pleasant to work in. Or, until things can change in one way or another in this situation.Best wishes to you as you work through this difficult time!