My Last Day!

Question:

My wife has recently been unemployed. Her job-status means that when another mapping contract comes in, she is reinstated at her old hourly rate/benefits, etc., and she is re-employed. This company has not done a very good job of keeping the contracts coming in, and thus she has been in this job attached-unemployment circle often and with near zero communication as to when the next contract should arrive. Basically this is a bad situation financially for us. So she has been actively seeking more stable/better employment elsewhere.

Thankfully she has been asked to fill a full-time position recently, and thus has notified her on again-off again employer that her last day available to work will be this May 16th. She starts her new job May 19th. The response after the ‘resignation’ letter (can you resign if you are unemployed?) was “Would it be possible for you to spend some time with next week?” To do that would conflict with the new job schedule. My wife has back-vacation pay due her, thus the notification to her employer.

How would you, without burning bridges, tell an employer, who cares about nothing but covering it’s rear end and from a boss who continues to draw a salaried paycheck while others are at home on unemployement, “No, thank you”?

Not Available

Answer:

Dear Not Available:

Congratulations to your wife in her new job. Hopefully this new job will prove steady and communication with her new boss will be good. Q: How can she inform her old boss and company that her last day is the 16th and that she cannot train someone beyond that date?

A: Simply and firmly. She can do as she has done in the past, by word of mouth and/or in writing, restate what she said in her resignation letter: “I am available to train Ms or Mr. James for only Thursday, Friday and possibly Saturday. I assume that my rate of pay will be _____ and that pay for that time and back-pay of ______ due will be sent me as usual. I am not available beyond that time.”

Do not elaborate. Keep it simple with no more than what is needed for a clear understanding regarding time available and pay expected.

She doesn’t need to say she has another job, when or where. She is wise to not burn bridges even if the employer she is leaving was inconsiderate.

Leaving gracefully from her bad work situation is what matters. There is a temptation to vent to others in a new job why one has left an old one. That is best left unsaid or briefly expressed positively should a curious new co-worker or superior inquire, “I left because of the opportunity to work here.” Because her old boss was less than clear and caring, I predict your wife will strive to do her part not to have that in her new job. Adjusting to a new job is an on-going learning process. I wish her the best in this new job. May it be a good place to work in and for. Perhaps not all will be easy in her new job, but she will find that working together there with hands, head, and heart takes and makes big WEGOS.